YUDI AHMAD TAJUDIN
Yudi is a prominent Indonesian theater director who has brought his works to prestigious international venues and festivals.
He is also a founding member and artistic director of Teater Garasi/Garasi Performance Institute, a multidisciplinary artist collective based in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
In 2013, Teater Garasi was named a Prince Claus Laureate for, among others, “their adventurous spirit and groundbreaking work in stimulating performing arts in South East Asia.”
Teater Garasi and Yudi believe that the value of performing arts cannot be separated from the development and the change of its society. Therefore his vision in theater making is also an attempt to read, investigate and perform the concerns of the society, or to understand the ever-changing realities.
His portfolio includes interdisciplinary projects with other prominent artists and his critically acclaimed works range from contemporary opera, dance theater, classical drama, performance art and interpretation of Javanese traditional performing arts.
Known as a cutting edge director who has brought Indonesia’s theater scene to the next aesthetic level, Yudi was granted an ‘Art Award 2014’ from Ministry of Culture, Indonesia, and received Asian Cultural Council fellowship to study New York theatre scene in 2011-2012.
Theater/Performing Art Works
1. Director for “Das Gauklermarchen” (The Juggler’s Tale) of Michael Ende, Shizuoka Performing Arts Center (SPAC) international production, Shizuoka, Japan, September 2013, and November-December 2016.
2. Director for “Yang Fana adalah Waktu. Kita Abadi (Time is Transient. We are Eternal)”, a performance on the memory and (history of) violence in Post ’98 Indonesia, Yogyakarta, June 2015, and Goethe Institut Jakarta, 2016.
3. Director for “The Streets”, a dance-theatre on the streets life in Indonesia, OzAsia Festival, Adelaide-Australia, September 2015.
4. Director for “Gandari” – a dance opera, based on Tony Prabowo music, Teater Jakarta, Indonesia, December 2014.
5. Director for “After the Voices #1”, a work in progress dance-theatre performance, Erasmus Huis, Jakarta, March 2014.
6. Director – Dramaturg for “To Belong – Cyclonic Dream”, a dance performance choreographed by Akiko Kitamura, Nagano (Japan), Singapore, Tokyo (Dance New Air Festival), Jakarta and Solo (Indonesia), 2013-2014.
7. Director for “Panji Sepuh: What are the Sins of the Flesh”, a dance theatre performance based on/inspired by Javanese classical dance, bedhaya, Jakarta, August 2011.
8. Co-director (with Goenawan Mohamad) for “Tan Malaka”, a contemporary opera, composed by Tony Prabowo based on Goenawan Mohamad’s libretto, Jakarta-Indonesia, October 2010 and April 2011.
9. “Third Realm”, installation and performace project, in collaboration with Jompet Kuswidananto, Para-site gallery, Hongkong, November 2010.
10. Director/Choreographer for “Tubuh Ketiga” (Third Body. On Embracing the In-Between), a dance-theatre performance, premiered in “Festival Salihara 2010”, Jakarta-Indonesia, October 2010. Co-produced by Teater Garasi and Festival Salihara 2010.
11. “Beeld van geen Droom”, installation and performance project, in collaboration with Mella Jaarsma, Willem Arntsz Hoeve, Den-Dolder, Netherlands, August 2010.
12. Director/Choreographer for “Je.ja.l.an”, a dance-theatre performance, performed in Yogyakarta, Jakarta, Shizuoka Spring Arts Festival and Osaka-Japan, May 2008 – June 2010. The production was co-produced by Teater Garasi, Jakarta Art Council, and Shizuoka Performing Arts Centre (SPAC).
13. Collaborator in Jompet Kuswidananto’s installation and performance work, “Java’s Maschine: Phantasmagoria”, Yokohama Triennale, Japan, 2008.
14. Director for “The King’s Witch”, a contemporary opera composed by Tony Prabowo, libretto written by Goenawan Mohamad, conducted by Joel Sachs, and orchestra played by Continuum Ensemble, December 2005.
15. Director for “Mnem[a]syne”, a collaboration project of Teater Garasi and KuNauka Theater Company-Tokyo, performed at Suzunari Theater, Tokyo, supported by The Saison Foundation, June, 2006.
16. Director for “Waktu Batu #3. Deus ex Machina dan Perasaan-Perasaanku Padamu” (Time Stone #3: Deus ex Machina and My Feelings for You). The piece have been performed at: Morishita Studio, Tokyo-Japan, 2006, In-Transit Festival, The House of World Culture (Haus der Kulturen der Welt), Berlin-German, 2005, Jepara, Central Java, 2004. “Insomnia 48”, Singapore, 2004, Indonesian Art Summit International Performing Arts Festival IV, Jakarta, 2004, Yogyakarta, August 2004
17. Director for KuNauka’s production Sophocles “Antigone”, performed in Young Director Concours Festival 2003, organized by JPAF (Japan Performing Arts Foundation) at TOGA Artist Village, Toyama Perfecture, Japan, August-September 2003.
18. Director for “Waktu Batu #2. Ritus Seratus Kecemasan dan Wajah Siapa yang Terbelah” (Time Stone #2. Rites of a Hundred Angst and Whose Face Disjointed). Performed at several cities in Indonesia: Jakarta, Bandung, Lampung, Padang Panjang, Yogyakarta, from March to July, 2003.
19. Director for “Waktu Batu #1; Kisah-Kisah yang Bertemu di Ruang Tunggu” (Time Stone #1; The Encountered Stories in Waiting Room). Performed in Yogyakarta, 2002.